My favorite thing to do on a Saturday morning is get up early and go to garage sales. Most of the time I don't find anything, but enjoy looking at what other people deem as their "trash". But when I find something that I was either looking for or just have to have...I'm thrilled, it literally makes my day. And I love bartering with people. Its funny b/c I hate bartering at my own garage sales, but I refuse to pay full asking price for anything at a garage sale. I mean they want to get rid of it right?
About two years ago Jared and I found this beautiful, solid oak desk. The lady was asking $300 for it and Jared refused to pay it, and rightly so, but he also wouldn't barter with her. Needless to say I spoke with the lady and we got the desk for $150 and have loved it ever since!
This morning Jared & I got up at 7am...got coffee with Chris & Gary and went to a few neighborhood sales. I found two really good buys and my day was thus complete. We are both huge advocates of reading to our children and I've been slowly buying Dr. Suess books...but they are so expensive. Well today we hit the jack pot and found piles of kids books at one house, including tons of Dr. Suess books...we bought about 15 of them for .50 each. Gotta love it!!!

Next, we stopped at a garage sale that didn't look promising...you know the one where they really are just getting rid of stuff
anyone would call junk...but sitting out I found this...

Now to most people they might just pass over it, but not me. I grew up with this very same special plate. What is a "special plate" you may ask? In my family it was called the "Red Plate"...whenever something good happened to someone in the family (promotion, good grade, track/football win, Mothers/Fathers day, etc) that person would get to use the Red Plate for a meal. You never asked for it, it would just be sitting at your place at the table. It comes with a special pen to write the date and reason on the back to capture the special or monumental occasions. I had never seen this plate outside of my parents home, but when I saw it today I had to buy it...for two whole bucks!!!
I love traditions and want to start them with our own family...but I did have to explain the plate to Jared, which was funny! He's still not totally on board with the idea...but he will be the first time he gets to use it. *Ahem* Maybe for his first father's day??!!*
- T -
No comments:
Post a Comment