I have a horrible memory. Seriously, can't remember anything well. I have a girlfriend, A, with a two month old who is having issues napping. "A" calls me for advice on what I did with Jayne at the same age and I can't remember. I feel horrible that I can't remember but I am thankful for this blog and the ability to open up past posts to figure it out! Jayne was never a very good napper but slept great at night...it was a trade off in my mind and one that I would gladly take even on the days I felt so out of it b/c we were both cranky from not napping =) Every kid is different and although I wish I could give "A" a clear cut answer on what to do, I can't. Its A LOT of trial and error and once you think you have it figured out, baby goes and has a growth spurt or needs more awake time or gets sick and switches things up on you again. I am very thankful for the time we are in now. Jayne sleeps well for nap time and bedtime and is very predictable. And we know we can skip a nap if we need to and will have a slightly cranky baby but nothing we can't deal with for a day. I also know I can't skip nap time for more than two days in a row or her entire nap schedule is thrown off and we have a couple bad days trying to get back on it.
Its the things you learn along the way and the way you learn your kids temperament and ability to be pushed off schedule and get back on. People might think I'm being too rigid, but trust me...you watch my kid (like my parents did in the summer) and you'll be grateful too. I think my parents thought I was being crazy with my schedule in the beginning, but after having Jayne for as long as they did, I think they learned to appreciate it as much as I did! You come to be able to depend on your child's behavior and attitude and like I said, you know when you can push them past a nap time or bed time and you know what to expect when you do. That makes all the difference in the world. In my mind anyways!
Now, I am freaking out a little about having #2 and how he or she will play into Jayne's schedule and our lives. I think every parent of multiple kids will feel this way at one point or another. I am excited for the change and the challenge. But I worry about how having this baby will affect Jayne...her temperament, her sleeping, everything. Her world is about to be rocked. I am praying for an easy, laid back baby. That would be great (God, are you hearing me???!!!??) But I also have seen the reality that #2 could be high maintenance or fussy and that scares me. I don't want to be a stressed out momma and I don't want Jayne to get lost in the shuffle of dealing with a fussy baby who needs ALL my attention ALL the time. But with 3 1/2 months left I have a long time to not freak out and to spend as much one on one time with Jayne and not be stressed out...so that is what I am going to try and do. That and fit as much travel in as possible before my doctor says I cant =) I head to Phoenix to meet my sweet niece next week...BY MYSELF!!!! I am so excited for this trip and have been anxiously awaiting the days...and as soon as I get back Jayne & I head to Ohio to spend a week up there (the trip that has been re-booked three times!!!) We are going no ifs ands or buts!
I am super excited for this crazy time in our lives with the move, travel, pregnancy, etc. But I am also looking forward to settling down for the holidays and relaxing with our family and settling into our new home. We are so blessed and we don't take it for granted...ever.
- T -
No comments:
Post a Comment