The after affects of falling of her swing set, going to the dr., getting xrays, missing her nap...one passed out little miss with a fractured arm =(
Yup...our little miss had her first big accident.
Today we had a big play date scheduled at our house with friends from our neighborhood. Jayne and one other little boy were playing on her play set and Jayne fell off the side. I was standing right there, which is the hardest part for me. I couldn't catch her fast enough. She immediately started crying that horrible, cant catch your breath cry and I scooped her right up (while wearing Savannah in the Bjorn). Through her tears Jayne told me she had a mess so I went upstairs to change her. That's when I was able to check her limbs, head etc. She was still crying really hard but I couldn't tell if something was really wrong. I thought her left arm was swollen and warmer than her right. I called our pediatrician...can I just say I LOVE our dr.??? The office immediately got the dr on the phone and she said since Jayne was moving her hand around on her own and still grabbing for her juice, that she could come in to the office for evaluation before deciding if she needed an xray. My wonderful friend Lisa was over and stayed with Savannah so I could just run out with Jayne.
Jayne settled down and I gave her some ibuprofen, she ate a snack and watched Dora before we left. She started using her hand more but still wouldn't fully close her hand or grab tightly to anything or put pressure on it. The dr said since Jayne was using her hand so well and didn't cry at all or pull away when she pushed, pulled & manipulated her arm that she would be surprised if she had a fracture but since it was swollen we should go anyways. I'm always the better be safe than sorry type so we went. I am so thankful we didn't have to wait long! And the radiology tech was wonderful with Jayne. They took the picts in a few minutes and I asked her if she could tell me anything. She said she couldn't but said to "take it easy" until hearing from the dr. The way she said it made me think she was telling me there was something wrong. Then when she handed me the cd of images she gave me a look and the way she said "this is in case you need to go to a pediatric ortho specialist", made me really think it wasn't just a sprain! Anyways, needless to say Jayne does have a buckle fracture. Its the most common in kids and usually heals within a few weeks but they usually put the kid in a cast. Yes, a cast...two weeks before our big beach trip. Praying we can get a waterproof cast otherwise our trip might be the one from you know where! I am seriously so proud of Jayne and how strong she has been. She is one little trooper! I'm thankful she didn't inherit my low tolerance for pain!

No comments:
Post a Comment