Saturday, January 21, 2012

We have had a very eventful last few days. Savannah endured 12-15 breathing treatments in 36 hours. It was a very long, scary time and this momma is emotionally and physically exhausted.

When we got home from picking Jayne up at preschool Tuesday I noticed that Savannah's breathing seemed labored and her tummy was retracting (sucking in hard). I called the doctor and we took her in immediately. They listened to her for a very long time and just watched her breath. She was what they call a "happy wheezer", meaning she was still happy and content and not in distress. We did a breathing treatment there (which was HELL...I had to pin her arms to her side and forcefully hold a mask over her face. Jayne was with us and began crying and throwing things at me saying s"stop it momma, stop hurting sissy" broke my heart!). Good news was she got much better. But an hour later after picking up the prescription for her nebulizer (which was being driven to us from Ashville) she began wheezing again. Now mind you two things were bad about this situation, other than sissy being ill...Jared was out of town and I had to reset my phone that morning and my contacts didn't transfer over. So I had no phone numbers for most of my friends/family in town etc.




 I talked to Jared right as he was getting on his plane and he couldn't talk. After hanging up Savannah seemed to get worse by the minute. I lost it and called my friend Allison. As soon as I heard her voice I started bawling and asked her to come over. She was there within minutes, bless her! She agreed that Savannah didn't sound good and I should take her to the ER. So I grabbed a few things and ran out the door. Luckily a new medical facility recently opened about five minutes from us. They were fabulous and we were seen immediately. One of the nurses ended up being a neighbor we had yet to meet (Al, she's the lady with the scary Santa in the window...got a good laugh out of that!!). Everyone we dealt with was wonderful and I am so thankful for them and the help they gave us. Jared's aunt ended up calling me about something else and I told them where we were and they came to be with me for a few hours before relieving Allison at the house to watch Jayne. Savannah had a few breathing treatments and steroids given in the ER and was good after every treatment but would rebound within 45-60 minutes.







 As they were getting our discharge papers ready Sav began wheezing again and the doctor made the decision to transfer us via ambulance to CMC-Levine Childrens Hospital. That scared me a little. But after our first ambulance ride, ever, we were at the hospital and had a great team taking care of us. Sav had more breathing treatments, oxygen and an IV. My poor baby had the saddest, tired, scared eyes. It broke my heart to see her so uncomfortable and I lost it when they did the IV b/c she was so scared and I couldn't do anything to help her. She was breathing 70-85 times a minute before oxygen. Once the oxygen was administered her breathing got a ton better and she was able to sleep for a bit. You know there is no such thing as a restful hospital stay...they are in and out of the room every two hours administering breathing treatments and taking vitals. I ended up holding Savannah in my arms for the first 5 hours so she would sleep and was eventually able to lay her down for a few hours. I only got about an hour of sleep in 40 hours. It was tough.



 Breathing treatments were working but her oxygen level kept dropping below 90 which is not good. So by Wed mid morning we were told she'd have to stay for at least another day or two. But by the grace of God that afternoon she was doing so much better and was able to have her IV unhooked and go off oxygen. Her turn around was shocking! She kept her oxygen stable on her own, only dipping to 94 when she slept but or the most party stayed around 96-98. And her smiles returned and her eyes brightened. Our little girl was back. She would great everyone with big smiles and was playful. My friend Erin came to visit me bringing yummy treats and magazines and movies for Savannah (I literally began crying when I saw her. I was so surprised and moved for her thoughtfulness. She brought me sweet tea, breakfast, a magazine, movies for S and yummy treats). It was so nice to see a familiar face and have some company for a bit. Jared's uncle brought Jayne up to see us for a couple hours and drop off clothes and stuff for me. I missed my big girl so much. Jayne was so concerned with all the wires coming of sissy and kept asking if sissy felt better. I love her watching out for her baby sister. I have to comment on her outfit... God bless them...Jayne was dressed in tights (no pants), tennis shoes, a pj shirt and her purple coat. I busted out laughing when I saw her. Gary and Jayne found the floor playroom and we had a heck of a time getting her to go home =) Jared was able to get an early flight home and came straight to the hospital on wed night. It was so hard on him being away. When he walked in, I could finally let my guard down and let the emotions of the past 24 hrs wash over me. He grounds me, lifts me up and supports me and I needed him.





We had a follow up appt with our pediatrician on Friday and Savannah received a clean bill of health. Even the "Crackling" they heard in the bottom half of her lungs before discharge was completely gone! She does have a cough, which they said is normal of about a week afterwards. But otherwise she is fabulous. She even decided to stand on her own, climb the stairs and take a few shaky steps yesterday. The little stinker, always keeping us on our toes!

We have been so blessed by prayers, meals, phone calls/emails, help with Jayne...the love and support has overwhelmed us and it is so appreciated! I cant even begin to describe how wonderful everyone has been and how loved we have felt. Savannah got better b/c of all your prayers and we will be forever grateful. This weekend has been one of rest and recharging. We are trying to get back to normal, our schedule and sleeping when possible!


No comments: